Monday, June 14, 2010

Tiger Treks

Yowza, my piddy paws are sore tonight!  I had today off, and I took full advantage and explored the Financial District some.  I even made it into Brooklyn!

First, I went to the World Trade Center.  I walked around three sides of the construction zone and stopped at the firehouse to look at the memorial and mural.  Then I went to a museum/shop that explained the plans for the site.  There are memorials all around the site, and they are sad and beautiful.  It was an emotional start to my day.


















The future memorial site.

After exploring the Trade Center site, I went across the street to St. Paul's Chapel.  As you can see on their sign, it survived the September 11 attacks even though the chapel and cemetery are located just across the street.  And the chapel hosted old George Washington on Inauguration Day.  Awesome!


The cemetery faces the Trade Center site.



The tombstones here were great.  I couldn't get close to them, no tigers allowed in the grass, but the oldest I could see dated to 1805.  And there were lots that were even older, but they're so crumbled and worn there's no telling how old they are.


It's like the Liberty Bell, but not.  It's a tribute memorial to 9/11.

An altar inside the chapel.

After the chapel and the Trade Center site, I wanted a nice long walk to lift my spirits.  So I wandered over to the City Hall Park.  It was beautiful - a vibrant green oasis in the city.  It was crowded with folks on their lunch breaks from nearby businesses.



I made a wish.  It's a secret.



Woah.



But tigers are.



I thought this guy was Ben Franklin.  I was wrong.



Think they'll teach me?!

Are you tired yet?  Because I wasn't.  So I kept going.  When I exited the park, I was directly in front of the walkway that would take me across the Brooklyn Bridge, and I thought what the heck?!  So off I went.  I didn't spend much time in Brooklyn.  Just long enough to find some lunch and head back.  The views were spectacular.  I could even see the Statue of Liberty, but it was hazy so I couldn't get a good picture of her.



Let's go!












There's Lady Liberty!  Can you see her?  Told you it was a little hazy.



Made it.



Lunchtime!

And that was it for today.  I'd say that's enough.  Phew.  My little legs need a rest.  

So, friends, what should I do on my next day off?  Anywhere you'd like to see?


2 comments:

  1. Pouncer, you might like to check out the tigers at the New York Zoo and see if they have any hints for a little tiger in a big city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like you're Calvin running around having adventures with Hobbes, hehe. Good job baby!

    ReplyDelete